John B. Dubuc
Born in 1851 in “French Canada”. He came to the US in 1867.
Married Catherine P. Potvin in 1872. Catherine was also a French Canadian.
1900 census lists 8 children in the family and John was listed as a blacksmith.
In 1888, John moved a house from the Shelburne Farms to Harbor Rd. The house is the big yellow house that is located next to the Craft School. Now located in the museum, the blacksmith shop was located near the railroad tracks on Harbor Rd…
John Dubuc was a very active member of the Catholic community in Shelburne. Before the brick church now located on Church Street was built, masses were sometimes said at John’s house. Father Campeau, from Vergennes would stay at John and Catherine’s house when he came to offer Mass at the Shelburne Farms Chapel.
When St. Catherine Catholic Church was built in 1895, John Dubuc made the cross that adorned the spire (spire was taken down in the mid-20th century) and the beautiful stain glass window of St. Catherine was donated by the Dubuc and placed in the Chancel end of the building.
John Dubuc acted as the agent to purchase the land for the Catholic Cemetery from a Mr. Havens. The land was deeded by Dubuc to Louis DeGoesbriand, Bishop of Burlington in August 1895. The first burial in this Cemetery was John’s daughter Jennie (Eugenie) in January 4, 1896.
In the List of Town Officers of 1895, John B. Dubuc is listed as the treasurer of the Library Trustees. For a time before the Old Pierson Library was used as the Town Library, the library was located at Dubuc’s house on Harbor Rd. and his daughter, Anna served as librarian.